I always have enjoyed learning from others and being able to pick apart their life lessons and experiences, thus Things I’ve Learned was born. Here I write down the lessons I’ve learned through personal life experiences, stories, and lessons I have stolen from others. This page is as much a way to share what I’ve learned as it is a place of reference for me.
_Things I've Learned
- Communication is key to any and every relationship.
- You can do anything with persistence and determination. But, know when to walk away.
- Music is amazing. There are songs for every emotion and the memories attached to them can take you on a wild ride sometimes, enjoy it.
- Sometimes you just need to have a good cry.
- Be kind to others, they’re going through shit too.
- Life is best lived shared.
- Take photos. With people in them. Yeah mountains and beaches are cool, but in ten years you won’t give a fuck. It’s the photos of you and your friends that are gonna take you back in time. – Oh and above all else, take photos with your family. You will cherish those memories most.
- You’re not gonna get along with everyone. Especially not the first time you meet them. Don’t let the first impression be the last one, people can surprise you as you get to know them better.
- Its a small world out there, be nice to everyone you meet. Odds are that your paths will cross again.
- Walks are wonderful and a great time to reflect and think. Or not think.
- Listen. It can be easy to get caught up in sharing your opinions and and thoughts, but make sure to take the time and listen to those around you.
- Surround yourself with people who make you laugh, remind who you are, and tell you it’s gonna be ok.
- You want to do something big? You better get a good team together.
- Call your parents. Often. You’re busy and stressed? Perfect, that’s what they’re there for.
- Everything can be negotiated.
- It takes a lot of energy to hate.
- Never look too long at the big picture, just glance periodically, otherwise your head will explode.
- Design is never over. There will always be another idea, another addition, your design can always be improved.
- Fail Fast. Yeah it’s a cliche, but burning your old ideas will help you come up with new ones.
- Take a break once in a while, let your brain recharge before you fry it.
- Often the little things are what make a design complete, every detail counts.
- Every. Designer. Has. An. Opinion. Doesn’t mean they are all right.
- Ask yourself why you are making specific decisions often. Your work will be better because of it.
- When working in a team, make time to hangout, at least once, and get to know each other organically—the group will be better because of it.
- Restraint. Sometimes the simplest solution can be an extremely effective one. You don’t always need to “go big”.
- You’re gonna get critique from people that you don’t want to hear. Take a moment to sulk and then suck it up and listen to them, they’re probably right.
- Keep creating.